Nationwide Treatment Helpline - 1-877-872-0540

Our 24-hour nationwide treatment helpline provides treatment options and referrals as well as information to families and individuals dealing with substance abuse and/or mental health disorders.

Our referral service only provides information on licensed treatment facilities, as well as therapy groups and one on one counseling. Many people suffer from addiction. You don't have to be one. Call Now.


Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in Kentucky

Kentucky is an expansive state with many natural resources and beautiful spaces. Even so, many people here struggle with substance use disorders of various kinds. In fact, it was recently ranked as one of the top 10 states in the nation for rates of drug overdose deaths. Read on to find out more:

Addiction in Kentucky

According to NIDA - the National Institute on Drug Abuse - Kentucky is one of the states that has been hit by the growing opioid crisis making its way across the United States. However, the rates of overdose death reported in this state are influenced by various other substances of abuse. Examples of these substances include:

  • Prescription stimulants
  • Other prescription drugs
  • Methamphetamines
  • Marijuana
  • Heroin
  • Cocaine
  • Benzodiazepines
  • Alcohol

According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA), a total of 25,428 residents of Kentucky were enrolled in a drug rehab program in the state in 2010. Of these people, 66.9 percent were male while the remaining 33.1 percent were female.

Additionally, 28.2 percent of these admissions were for opioid use disorders. This goes to show that opioids are the most commonly abused drug in the state among people receiving addiction treatment. Alcohol followed closely with an admission rate of 18.8 percent were marijuana took up 16.7 percent of these admissions.

Some years before in 2006, over 20 percent of the drug offenses sentenced in this state involved crystal meth or regular methamphetamine. At the same time, Kentucky had a total of 48 drug courts.

The same year, law enforcement officials in Kentucky made a total of 56,376 arrests involving drugs according to the ONDCP - the Office of National Drug Control Policy. Similarly, 1,351 road accidents were caused by people who got behind a wheel while intoxicated on drugs or alcohol. More than 200 of these accidents turned out to be fatal.

Other figures relating to the drug problem affecting this state between 2006 and 2010 include:

  • The rates of drug overdose fatalities involving heroin more than doubled
  • Local residents aged between 35 and 44 were reported to be affected the most by overdose deaths
  • Hydrocodone was responsible for 16 percent of overdose deaths in Kentucky
  • Heroin was responsible for more than 34 percent of overdose fatalities in this state
  • Fentanyl either on its own or in combination with heroin was responsible for 47 percent of the overdose deaths reported in Kentucky
  • Drug overdose death rates involving synthetic opioids like fentanyl quadrupled

Addiction Treatment in Kentucky

Today, Kentucky allows doctors and pharmacists to track prescriptions through a state-wide database. The purpose of this database is to ensure that people do not get their hands on these medications illegally by doctor shopping.

Additionally, the state has a Good Samaritan Law in place that allows people to report a drug overdose incident without fearing that they will be prosecuted for doing so - or for being in possession of illicit drugs.

Getting Help

Apart from these preventative measures, Kentucky has a total of 285 programs that offer addiction treatment and rehabilitation services. Checking into one of these programs could be the last resort that you have before you succumb to your substance abuse. You can also get help for your addiction through the following helplines:

  • National Institute on Drug Abuse: (800) 662-4357
  • Kentucky Help Call Center: 1-833-859-4357
  • Help with Heroin and Opiate Addiction: 859-415-9280
  • Delphi Health Group: (888)-709-1076
  • Cocaine Anonymous: (800) 347-8998
Questions? Need help?

If you or a loved one needs help for substance abuse or addiction, fill out the form below and a counselor will respond shortly.

Send Help Request 100% Free and Confidential

Find Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers in or around the following Kentucky cities:

Top Cities For Recovery:

Call our Drug Rehab Help Line

Drug and Alcohol Help-Line


100% Free and Confidential

Organizations We Support