Nationwide Treatment Helpline - 1-877-872-0540

Our 24-hour nationwide treatment helpline provides treatment options and referrals as well as information to families and individuals dealing with substance abuse and/or mental health disorders.

Our referral service only provides information on licensed treatment facilities, as well as therapy groups and one on one counseling. Many people suffer from addiction. You don't have to be one. Call Now.


Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in Maryland

Like other places across the country, the state of Maryland has been witnessing a rise in the rates of drug and alcohol abuse and addiction. This is not entirely surprising especially considering that there are many substances of abuse in this state. Read on to learn more:

Addiction in Maryland

The rates of drug overdose deaths linked to opioids have been rising in Maryland for many years now. In fact, these rates are so high that the state has been ranked among the top 5 in the United States.

In 2016, the state also lost 2,089 lives to a drug overdose problem. This was an increase from the 815 lives that it lost to similar incidents in 2007, a climb of over 156 percent. Most of these overdose deaths were linked to alcohol, benzodiazepines, opioids, and cocaine.

In 2010, however, a total of 61,377 people checked into a drug rehab program in the state. Of this number, 67.8 percent were men while the remaining 32.2 percent were women.

The same year, 11,230 people received similar treatment for an alcohol use disorder. An additional 7,892 people checked into a drug rehab program for abusing alcohol with another substance of abuse. Other studies show that the following are the most common substances of abuse in Maryland:

  • Alcohol
  • Cocaine
  • Heroin
  • Marijuana
  • Prescription Drugs

Other research findings on the rates of drug and alcohol abuse in this state show the following figures:

- In 2009, the Fatal Accident Reporting System (FARS) reported that more than 33 percent of all motor car accident fatalities reported in the state involved drugs

  • In 2008, the state lost 186 lives to a drunk driving incident
  • In 2008, more than 550 people were arrested for a drug related crime by the DEA the Drug Enforcement Administration
  • In 2008, 4321 people were referred to a juvenile court in Maryland for a DUI/DWI charge
  • In 2007, the state lost 807 lives to an incident involving drugs or alcohol
  • In 2006, the state made more than 21,000 arrests for the possession of cocaine

Addiction Treatment in Maryland

The state has many addiction prevention programs targeting its residents. Examples of these programs include:

  • The Inter-Agency Heroin and Opioid Coordinating Council
  • The Heroin and Opioid Awareness and Prevention Toolkit
  • Improved access and availability of naloxone

The state also has 513 addiction treatment and rehabilitation programs in place. These programs provide a wide variety of recovery services that can help you overcome your substance use disorder. These services include:

  • Vocational rehabilitation
  • Substance abuse counseling
  • Short term drug and alcohol rehab
  • Outpatient substance abuse counseling
  • Long term addiction treatment
  • Inpatient drug rehab
  • Individual psychotherapy
  • Group therapy
  • Detox
  • Activity therapy
  • 12-step facilitation approach

Getting Help

If you suspect that you have a drug or alcohol related disorder in Maryland, you should seek help from one of the addiction treatment and rehabilitation programs in the state. Other resources that could prove useful in mitigating these disorders include:

  • Maryland Poison Center: 800-222-1222
  • Frederick County Hotline: In County (301-662-2255), Outside the County (866-411-6803)
  • Delphi Health Group: (888)-329-9107
  • ALATEEN: 800-425-2666
Questions? Need help?

If you or a loved one needs help for substance abuse or addiction, fill out the form below and a counselor will respond shortly.

Send Help Request 100% Free and Confidential

Find Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers in or around the following Maryland cities:

Top Cities For Recovery:

Call our Drug Rehab Help Line

Drug and Alcohol Help-Line


100% Free and Confidential

Organizations We Support