Nationwide Treatment Helpline - 1-877-872-0540

Our 24-hour nationwide treatment helpline provides treatment options and referrals as well as information to families and individuals dealing with substance abuse and/or mental health disorders.

Our referral service only provides information on licensed treatment facilities, as well as therapy groups and one on one counseling. Many people suffer from addiction. You don't have to be one. Call Now.


Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in Minnesota

Like many other locations across the United States, Minnesota has been witnessed an increase in the rates of substance abuse and addiction among its residents. This is in spite of the fact that it is one of the most beautiful places to live.

Addiction in Minnesota

The opioid epidemic, in particular, has hit this state hard. However, it continues struggling with many other substances of abuse, including drugs and alcohol, benzodiazepines, meth, and cocaine.

From 2000, Minnesota has witnessed a 5-fold increase in the total rates of drug overdose fatalities reported among its residents. Although anyone can suffer this fatality, there are some segments of the state's population that are at higher risk.

A recent legislative report, for instance, showed that the Native Americans living here had about 5 times as high a risk as Caucasian American residents to suffer a drug overdose death. The same study reported that African Americans were twice as likely to die from a drug overdose as Caucasians.

According to the Minnesota Department of Health, these overdose deaths were most regularly linked to benzodiazepines, cocaine, heroin, psycho-stimulant drugs, and opioids. Consider the following figures from 2016:

  • 44 drug overdose deaths were linked to cocaine
  • 395 overdose deaths involve other types of opioids
  • 150 drug deaths were linked to heroin
  • 140 overdose deaths were linked to psych stimulants
  • 103 drug overdose deaths involved benzodiazepines

Other research studies show that there are 263 programs offering addiction treatment in Minnesota. In 2010, a total of 50,830 people enrolled in one of these programs. Of this number, 66.8 percent were male while the remaining 33.2 percent were female.

That said, there are some substances that are abused more often than others in Minnesota. Examples of these substances include:

  • Other Opiates
  • Methamphetamines
  • Marijuana
  • Heroin
  • Cocaine
  • Amphetamines
  • Alcohol

According to the NSDUH report for Minnesota for 2007:

  • Substance related deaths reported in this state were about 50 percent of the total national average
  • 356 people died from a drug related problem

In 2006, just a year earlier, other reports showed that more men were arrested for a drug or alcohol involved driving incident than women. That year, 68.7 percent of males against 22.3 percent of females were arrested for these incidents.

According to the Office of Traffic Safety run by the state Department of Public Safety, 38,635 people were arrested for a DWI/DUI violation in Minnesota in 2007. Although the figure had reduced significantly, it was still higher than the national average.

Addiction Treatment in Minnesota

The state has put several programs to prevent and reduce the substance abuse and addiction crisis affecting its residents. Examples of these programs include:

  • The Minnesota Addiction Prevention Resource Center
  • Increases access to and availability of naloxone

Apart from these prevention programs, there are some programs that offer professional addiction recovery services in this state. Examples of these services include but are not limited to:

  • Substance abuse counseling
  • Short term drug and alcohol rehab
  • Relapse prevention
  • Outpatient day treatment
  • Long term addiction treatment
  • Inpatient rehab
  • Inpatient detox
  • Evidence based behavioral therapies
  • Dual diagnosis drug rehab
  • Dialectical behavior therapy
  • Brief intervention
  • Behavior modification
  • 12 step programs

Getting Help

You can get help with your addiction from any of these addiction treatment programs or by calling any of the following hotlines in Minnesota for any drug or alcohol related emergency or crisis:

  • United Way 2-1-1 Minnesota: 800-543-7709
  • Delphi Health Group: (888)-429-5845
  • Minnesota Department of Human Services: 651-431-2460
  • National Drug Abuse Hotline: 1-800-662-HELP (4357)
Questions? Need help?

If you or a loved one needs help for substance abuse or addiction, fill out the form below and a counselor will respond shortly.

Send Help Request 100% Free and Confidential

Find Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers in or around the following Minnesota cities:

Top Cities For Recovery:

Call our Drug Rehab Help Line

Drug and Alcohol Help-Line


100% Free and Confidential

Organizations We Support