Nationwide Treatment Helpline - 1-877-872-0540

Our 24-hour nationwide treatment helpline provides treatment options and referrals as well as information to families and individuals dealing with substance abuse and/or mental health disorders.

Our referral service only provides information on licensed treatment facilities, as well as therapy groups and one on one counseling. Many people suffer from addiction. You don't have to be one. Call Now.


Alcohol and Drug Rehab Centers in New Jersey

In New Jersey, more than 80,000 people check into an addiction treatment and rehabilitation program every year. This goes to show just how expansive the substance abuse problem has been in the state.

Addiction in New Jersey

New Jersey is like many other states in the sense that there are several substances of abuse here. In particular, residents abuse heroin and opioid drugs at high rates. This is even though there are a couple of drug rehab programs available that can help these people overcome their substance use disorders.

The National Survey on Drug Use and Health for 2015 and 2016 also reports the following statistics relating to the rates of drug use in New Jersey:

  • More than 8.26 percent of the entire population abuses illicit drugs
  • More than 25.06 percent - over 1718 people - of the entire population in the state engages in binge drinking sessions on a regular basis
  • About 3.87 percent - more than 265,000 people - of the entire adult population abuses heroin -
  • 2.06 percent - or about 141,000 people - of the adult population of New Jersey abuses cocaine on a regular basis

In a report released by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (the CDC) in 2018, New Jersey is ranked among the top 5 American states to suffer an increase of more than 30 percent in the rates of opioid drug overdose deaths. In particular, the state lost a total of 1695 lives in 2016. It lost an additional 2284 lives in 2017. This was an increase of over 34.7 percent within a period lasting about a year long.

In 2010, New Jersey saw more than 70,000 admissions into an addiction treatment program. Of this number, 67.8 percent were male while the remaining 32.2 percent were female.

For more than 20 years now, however, New Jersey has witnessed a decline in the total number of people admitted into a rehab program for abusing cocaine and/or alcohol. However, the state saw an increase in the rates of admission for heroin abuse and addiction.

That said, the following are the most commonly abused substances in the state:

  • Prescription Drugs
  • Methamphetamine
  • Marijuana
  • Heroin
  • Fentanyl
  • Cocaine
  • Alcohol

In 2007, substance abuse was responsible for the loss of 797 lives in New Jersey. The state was also ranked among the top 18 American states where drug related deaths surpassed the rates of mortality linked to road accidents.

Addiction Treatment in New Jersey

Luckily, there are several programs in New Jersey that offer professional addiction treatment and rehabilitation services. The state also has several strategies in place to deal with the drug crisis affecting its citizens. These include:

- Marketing treatment and rehabilitation programs that apply the use of medication assisted therapies to reduce the opioid use crisis in the state

  • Increased enforcement of drug trafficking laws
  • Enhanced penalties for drug crimes involving opioids
  • Distribution of naloxone to reduce the rates of opioid overdose incidents affecting residents

Overall, you should seek help from a professional drug and alcohol rehabilitation program once you realize that you have a substance related problem in this state. You can also call any of the following hotlines for advice or emergency help in New Jersey:

  • ReachNJ: 1-844-732-2465
  • IME Addictions Access Center (Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care Institute): 1-844-276-2777
  • Delphi Behavioral Health Group: (888)-329-1092
Questions? Need help?

If you or a loved one needs help for substance abuse or addiction, fill out the form below and a counselor will respond shortly.

Send Help Request 100% Free and Confidential

Find Drug and Alcohol Treatment Centers in or around the following New Jersey cities:

Top Cities For Recovery:

Call our Drug Rehab Help Line

Drug and Alcohol Help-Line


100% Free and Confidential

Organizations We Support